I wanted to eat cake. Any cake. But during 4HB diet, we cannot eat cake because of sugar and flours (grains).
I was looking for a cake recipe with minims damage that I would do to my body. And I found this recipe called Orange Almond Cake, which does not use any leveling agents, no flour, and no oil (except on the cake pan)
So I modified this recipe to my way, and also sized down so that I won’t feel bad if I ate the whole cake by myself… (Well, if I eat the whole cake by myself, I should feel bad…)
Here is the recipe! (Oh yeah, this is metric measurement…, for 9 to 10 inch spring foam pan, just double the ingredients!)
Almond Cake with Lemon Agave Syrup
Almond Flour – 100g
Egg – 3 Large (separated with yolks and whites)
Coconut Sugar – 50g (Any other sugar substitution)
Lemon Zest – 2 Lemons (Used Myer Lemons)
Vanilla Extract – 1 Teaspoon
Agave Nectar – 2 Tablespoon
Lemon Juice – 2 Lemons (Used Myer Lemons)
Orange Liqueur – 1 Tablespoon
1. 18cm Spring foam pan (7 inches), lined parchment paper on the bottom and side. Oil the bottom and side just in case the case may stick.
2. Put Egg Yolks to the bowl, and mixed with Coconut Sugar. Mix them well.
3. Added Almond Flour, Lemon Zest, and Vanilla Extract to the Egg Yolks and Coconut Sugar mixture and mix very well. (It will become very stiff batter) And set this mixture a side.
4. With Egg Whites, make Meringue with stiff peak.
5. Put ¼ of Meringue to Egg Yolks mixture and mix well. And add slowly another ¼ of Meringue to the mixture and start folding the mixture. Repeat 2 more times in ¼ of Meringue to incorporate to Egg Yolk mixture.
6. Pour the mixed batter to the prepared spring foam pan. Base in 350F for 25 minutes.
7. Make Syrup while the cake is baking.
8. Squeeze Lemon Juice to the small sauce pan, add Agave Nectar and Orange Liqueur. Boil them for 2 minutes and let it cool.
9. After the cake is baked, let it cool about 5 minutes and pour the syrup on top of the cake. Pour about 2 to 3 Tablespoon of Syrup.
10. Eat the cake!
You can serve the cake with Whipped Cream, Chocolate Sauce, or whatever you desire.
The reason why I used Coconut Sugar and Agave Nectar to this recipe, it is because these two sugar substitution won’t spike your insulin level 🙂
This cake is so airy, light, moist, lemony, and sweet! Because I make this cake in 18cm pan, the cake itself is pretty small and a 1/8 slice is like 3 bites for me. But it definitely calmed down my craving for the cake!!!
So I call it, SUCCESS!