I was flipping the channels to see anything interested on TV, you know other than Food Network and HGTV… Oddly enough, on PBS, the America’s Test Kitchen was doing the “Best Chocolate Chip Cookie” show. Almost all chefs say “My recipe is the best.” but then this is the America’s Test Kitchen, they must have done many tests to find out the “BEST” Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. This one recipe got my attention that I decided to write down the recipe while watching the show. I have to say every step of this recipe has a good scientific reason to invent the “BEST” Chocolate Chip Cookie. After the show, I was not 100% sure on the recipe I wrote down, so I went to America’s Test Kitchen website to see if I can find this specific recipe for me to double check… Well, America’s Test Kitchen website does not offer recipes for free… You have to subscribe with the fee… (booo!)
Anyways, but this won’t stop me from baking the “BEST” Chocolate Chip Cookies! I was not 100% sure but I thought I wrote down enough information from watching the show on the back of local grocery sale fryer 🙂 , I decided to bake cookies immediately. Let’s see if this “scientifically proven” recipe really the “Best Chocolate Chip Cookie”?!?!?!?
1. 14 Tbs Unsalted Butter (Organic)
2. ½ Cup Sugar (Organic/Non-Processed)
3. ¾ Cup Dark Brown Sugar (Organic)
4. 2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
5. 1 Whole Large Egg (Organic)
6. 1 Large Egg York (Organic)
7. 8 ¾ Ounce All Purpose Flour (Organic)
8. ½ tsp Baking Powder (Aluminum Free)
9. 1 ¼ Cup Bitter Sweet Choco Chip (Ghiladelli 60% Cacao)
1. Put 10 Tsp Butter to the skillet, melt and brown the butter. (Carmel color)
2. Remove from the heat and add remaining 4 Tsp butter to the skillet and melt them completely.
3. Add ½ Cup Sugar and ¾ Cup Dark Brown Sugar to the melted butter mixture and mix well.
4. Add 1 whole egg and 1 egg York to the butter & sugar mixture and mix well till looks glossy.
5. Add Pure Vanilla Extract to the Wet Mixture (Butter & Sugar & Egg) and mix well.
6. Add Dry Ingredients (Flour and Baking Powder) to the Wet Mixture (Butter & Sugar & Egg) and mix well.
7. Add Choco Chip to the dough mixture and mix well.
America’s Test Kitchen did some survey that they came to the conclusion of “Ghiladelli Bitter Sweet Chocolate Chip” is the best for this recipe.
8. Bake 375 degree for 11 to 15 minutes.
The Final Product: THE BEST CHOCO CHIP COOKIE!!
America’s Test Kitchen was right. I think this was the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie I have ever baked. The process of browning butter added the nutty and carmel flavor to the cookie and the bitter sweet chocolate chip added the sharp chocolate flavor to balance out the nutty rich sweet cookie. I’ll try with Semi Sweet Chocolate Chip next to experiment the other flavor combination.
Happy Baking & Happy Holiday!