So I asked my Facebook Friends, “What should I cook for dinner tonight?!” Some of my faithful friends responded “Chili Con Carne”. Well, this is my first time but the Chili Con Carne will be perfect for this weather (It is cold outside… it was snowing yesterday…). So I decided to tackled on the “Chili Con Carne H’s Way”! 🙂
1. 2 1/2 pounds Beef Stew Meat or beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
2. 2 1/2 pounds Pork Shoulder, cut into 1- inch cubes
3. 1 tablespoon Salt (I use Sea Salt)
4. Freshly ground Black Pepper
5. 1/3 to 1/2 cup Olive oil
6. 1 large Onions, chopped
7. 1 Cup Celery, chopped
8. 1/3 Cup Dried Green and Red Bell Pepper (You can use fresh Bell Pepper, chopped)
9. 8 – 10 large cloves Garlic, minced
10. 1/3 cup Chili Powder
11. 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
12. 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
13. A Dash of Cayenne Pepper
14. 2 (14.5-ounce) can Diced Tomatoes
15. 4 cups low-sodium Chicken Broth
16. 1 (15-ounce) can Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
17. 1 (15-ounce) can Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
18. Serving with White Rice, chopped Green Onion, Shredded Cheddar, and Sour Cream.
1. Season meats with the Salt and Pepper.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the Olive Oil in a medium to large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
3. Sear the Meat until well browned, and transfer meat to a bowl and reserve.
4. Saute the Onion, Celery, Garlic over medium heat until Onion and Celery become tender, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
5. Stir in the 1/3 cup Chili Powder, Cumin, and Oregano and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add the canned Diced Tomatoes and whisk in 3 cups of the stock.
7. Add the Meats and any juices from the Meats back to the pot. Bring to a simmer.
8. Season the Chili with the Salt, Pepper, and dash of Cayenne Pepper cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
9. In a blender puree about 1 cup of beans with the remaining 1 cup of stock.
10. Add the bean mixture to the chili along with the whole beans.
11. Let simmer, uncovered, 1/2 to 1 hour more or until the meat is tender.
12. For the taste, stir in the some Chili Powder, Salt and Pepper
13. Serve with cooked White Rice, chopped Green Onion, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, and maybe Sour Cream?!
I have to say and Zach agreed also, my first Chili Con Carne was SUCCESS!! I can definitely introduce this recipe to you all! Meats were so tender that melted in my mouth! Beans texture was perfect! I could put a little more Cayenne Pepper to heat it up. But over all, Chili Con Carne H’s Way was a great dish for the day like today!!
Happy Eating and Cooking!!
2 responses to “My First Chili Con Carne”
Looks delicious! I’ll have to try it out =]
Thank you Rob!
I thought it was pretty good for the first time Chili Con Carne.
Zach liked it too! 🙂